Welcome to StandUp for Kids - Washington DC!
Since 2011, we have been empowering individuals who are without homes or at-risk in DC. The work we do is a very effective combination of StandUp for Kids activities and collaborations with other youth-serving organizations. As a nimble, all-volunteer organization, we can pay attention to the details and provide our youth with the tools for success. Further, with the support of a national network, we always deploy best-practices and top-notch services!
- Mentoring: StandUp for Kids works with youth to gain employment, sustainable housing, and education. We coach and empower youth to reach their goals! Volunteers work with youth who we meet through street outreach, as well as with individuals who are currently enrolled in our partner, Housing Up’s transitional housing program.
- Tutoring: StandUp for Kids volunteers also offer one-on-one tutoring services to the children of families at Housing Up. More, we helps individuals attain their GEDs and/or work credentials.
- Street Outreach: The first and most important step in engaging homeless youth is consistency. Meeting kids where they are at and showing up on a consistent basis are key to building trusting relationships. Establishing that connection lets kids know that there are adults who genuinely care about them and their well-being. Volunteers conduct street outreach to connect with District youth every Wednesday evening and many weekend mornings. If you want to be an outreach volunteer, check out the steps to get involved!
- Drop-In Center: *Currently closed due to the DC COVID-19 Restrictions* Every Monday and Wednesday with our nonprofit partners, we provide volunteers to a youth drop-in center in Gallery Place! In the center, youth can breathe, connect with peers, and build relationships. At the center, along with our partners, volunteers help youth connect to housing, employment, & support services and provide them with food, HIV/AIDS testing, speakers, & movie screenings. We are always developing new programs and partnerships to further lift up our youth!
- Need help or know someone who needs help? Feel free to review all of the resources and organizations that we recommend to our youth on our resource guide. Also note that our chapter provides additional services on top of what is listed there!
- As a volunteer with StandUp for Kids you will have the opportunity to engage directly with youth in ways that are effective and impactful. Becoming a volunteer is easy. There is an online orientation and self-paced training, followed by an in-person meeting. The entire process is outlined on our Training Schedule. Head over now to get started with our online orientation!
It is truly an exciting time to be a part of StandUp for Kids! We are continually expanding our programming and rely on fantastic members of the DMV community to do so! If you want to join our organization, partner, or contribute in-kind donations, please email JoshB@standupforkids.org. Also, to donate in-kind, feel free to view our Amazon wish list.