COVID-19 Emergency Response
We are stepping up in response to the increasing strain on the social safety nets that so many rely on, especially at-risk and homeless youth. We're an organization who prides ourselves in reaching our youth in all corners of Orange County with housing and basic needs support, as well as one-on-one and group in-person mentoring/life navigation programs. We've had to really innovate and adjust to our current circumstances during this COVID-19 crisis.
- All tutoring, life navigation and well being support for our vulnerable youth has been moved to Skype virtual calls where we can still make those personal connections both one-on-one and in small groups. Computers and internet support for the youth are supplied by StandUp for Kids.
- Emergency housing needs have increased greatly as loss of employment for many has pushed them from a tenuous situation to desperation. We have met the call and ramped up our support.
- Many sources of food and basic needs are no longer available in middle and high schools as well as colleges. We are working with these schools and colleges to support the students in this time of great need. We are making weekly deliveries of food and supplies to make sure our youth and their families have what they need to make it through the week.
- We've ramped up our mental health resources with the increased need due feelings of loneliness and increased stress from COVID-19 social distancing recommendations.
All of this would not be possible without wonderful donors, volunteers, staff and partners answering the call and stepping up to support our youth in their time of greatest need. We all face an uncertain future with fears of what's to come. However, we face these fears together as a family and together we'll get through.
If you are willing and able we need your help. We have needs for:
- In-Kind Food and Living Supply Donations such as: toilet paper, hand santitizer, baby wipes, canned goods (vegetables, soups), dry goods (rice, ramen noodles), non-refrigerated milk, peanut butter, jelly, bread and hygiene items (toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, laundry detergent, etc).
- Gift Cards for grocery stores, department stores, food etc.
- Volunteers who are available to do virtual mentoring and tutoring and those willing to help deliver supplies each week.
- Sharing our organization and our mission to others who may be able to help.
- Funding to help support housing needs.
If you're able to help in these areas please reach out to Justine Palmore at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you or someone you know is experiencing homelessness in the Orange County area and are between the ages of 12 and 24, please call our hotline at (714) 356-5437
Did You Know?
There are an estimated 31,000 homeless and housing insecure youth between 12-24 in Orange County. These youth are at risk of falling victim to gang violence, substance abuse, human trafficking, disease and hunger. Our goal is to reach them before they reach the point of no return. 85% of the youth we house transition from crisis to self-sufficiency.
We give our youth a sense of safety, hope and belonging,
Safety through our street outreach program that brings kids in from the cold.
Hope through our one stop centers where together we create blueprints for success and provide referral services.
Belonging through relationships with trusted, caring adults who provide mentoring and life skills training, emotional and social support.
We believe that kids deserve the right to personal safety. Once on the streets young people are at the highest risk of being physically and sexually victimized. They self-medicate to reduce emotional trauma. They engage in sex to meet their need for food, shelter and clothing.
You Can Do Something
StandUp for Kids - Orange County is stronger than ever because you, and other generous supporters just like you, donate time, resources, and talent in support of our important mission. Thank you for your faithful support of StandUp for Kids - Orange County!
Check out our 2018 Annual Report here!