Volunteer Training Checklist
All leaders and volunteers who work with youth must complete our training checklist. You must be 18 or older to work with youth in our local program.
1. Online volunteer orientation
You must also complete the form linked on slide 67 of the orientation.
2. Attend basic training
Basic training is in a dynamic classroom setting and we schedule them about once every 4-6 weeks. Check out our calendar if you can't make our next date.
- Next Date: Thursday, May 2, 2019, 6-8:30pm
- Location: Shaw Library, a DC Public Library at 1630 7th St NW, Washington DC - conference room 1 (lower level).
- RSVP: Please email email@example.com to take this training, or ask to be put on the list for future training dates.
3. Submit paperwork and get your background clearance
You can download paperwork and take it with you to the training, scan materials and email them as instructed, or mail them to us at StandUp For Kids, P.O. Box 75983, Washington, DC 20013 (let us know if you mail it since the PO Box is typically only checked every 2-3 weeks). We cannot process your background investigation without a copy of a government-issued ID.
4. “On the ground” experience
After basic training and passing of background check, you will be added to the counselor sign-up email list. Respond as indicated and show up. If you desire to do street outreach or counseling at the Outreach Center, you should shadow twice at the Center first.
5. Three online training lessons
Download each lesson and submit each lesson’s quiz online. Each one should take you about 30 minutes or less. It may be helpful to have two internet browser windows open while you complete each lesson – one with the PDF and the other with the quiz. Take the quiz as you go along. You will receive your scores automatically at the end of each quiz. You can do this step before you attend the in-person training.
6. Self-assessment of your learning
After you complete all steps 1-5 above, complete this post-training self-assessment survey.
Once you complete all of these steps, you will be officially designated as a StandUp For Kids Counselor. Congratulations in advance!