The mission is to end the cycle of youth homelessness throughout the United States.
StandUp For Kids is a national non-profit charity. Our organization was founded in 1990 by a group of volunteers in San Diego, CA. Starting from a program in one city, StandUp For Kids has grown to a national organization with operations in many states and the District of Columbia. We remain a nearly all-volunteer organization.
StandUp For Kids continuously strives to provide life-saving and outreach services to homeless, street kids and at-risk youth. StandUp For Kids is primarily a nighttime program, with volunteers walking the streets in the evening, distributing food, clothing, hygiene products, distributing resource information, referrals, and offering an 888 number where the kids can reach a StandUp For Kids counselor in each of our cities nationwide.
StandUp For Kids teaches youth the basic "life skills" so that they can survive off the streets, helping to build a foundation away from the streets and street life. Life skills focused on during the 2014 year are:
1. Anger Management Sessions
2. Increased tutoring services for GED, job hunting/resume building
3. Financial Management
4. Improving Communications
5. Study Skills
6. Goal Setting
7. Behavior Management Class
8. Social Events for homeless and at-risk youth/families
To contact a local chapter, click here or use the Find a Program
black and white link in the upper right hand side of any StandUp For Kids webpage.
|StandUp For Kids
|83 Walton Street
|Atlanta, Georgia 30303
- 39% of the homeless population is young people under the age of 18.
- An estimated 1.5 to 2.8 million homeless and street youth in America.
- If they all lived one city, it would be the 7th largest city
in the U.S.
- 13 kids die on the streets every day from abuse, disease and suicide. That's 5000 kids a year!
- 1 in 7 kids between ages 10 and 18 will run away
- The average age a teen becomes homeless is 14.7 years. Half of the homeless youth population is under the age of 18.
- 46% of homeless youth left their home because of physical abuse. 17% left because of sexual abuse
- Human trafficking of youth is the fastest growing crime.
- An estimated 100,000 children are sold into the sex trade within the US every year.
Our primary goal is to establish and build relationships with runaway, homeless & street-dependent youth ages 13-25. Through supportive relationships with caring adults we help youth adjust to safe and appropriate alternative living arrangements while becoming independent, self-sufficient, contributing members of society. For youth unwilling or unable to leave the streets our goal is that they have the support necessary to be safe and survive as well as to educate youth & the community about youth homelessness.